The Catholic Charities Refugee and Immigration Services Program in South Boston, seeks a full-time Safe Passages Family Reunification Specialist.
The Family Reunification Specialist will maintain a caseload of unaccompanied children reunifying with sponsors in Massachusetts. Responsible for assessing and documenting needs of clients. Conduct home visits with unaccompanied children and their sponsors, and follow all requirements outlined by the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) Department of Children’s Services (ORR/DCS) and the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Migration and Refugee Services (USCCB/MRS) program guidelines.
The Family Reunification Specialist reports to the Director of Refugee and Immigration Services or his/her designee.
The essential functions of the position include:
- Ensure that the activities of this position and relevant programs are consistent with the mission, vision, and values of the Catholic Charitable Bureau Archdiocese of Boston and Refugee and Immigration Services.
- Develop working knowledge of federal contracts for unaccompanied children services.
- Adhere to programmatic and contractual timelines for provision of services, including accurate reporting required by ORR/DCS and USCCB/MRS.
- Conduct Home Studies with prospective sponsors to assess the suitability of the placement, home and verify relationship. Identify and report any issues that might indicate an unsafe environment or sponsor who does appear to have the best interests of the child as of utmost importance.
- Conduct home visits for children released from ORR custody who are referred to Safe Passages as meeting the criteria for Post-Release services. Write comprehensive report after visits.
- Complete all required reports and submit within specified time frames.
- Maintain orderly case files and comprehensive documentation on client services and referrals. Ensure that all information reported is accurate, documented and reliable.
- Assist post-release clients with understanding and utilizing the local health system through referrals in their areas of residence.
- Responsible for educating sponsors on school registration and attendance requirements.
- Responsible for assisting clients in obtaining reputable legal representation for immigration proceedings by providing referrals.
- Ensure the confidentiality and privacy of all client information. Maintain appropriate and professional boundaries/relationships with clients at all times.
- Responsible for meeting with immediate supervisor on a regular basis and actively use supervision to strengthen skills and grow as a professional.
- Responsible for meeting individual benchmarks and other performance measures.
- Addresses areas of concern in a timely and productive manner.
- Input client data into agency database, DATACCAB and complete reports and other data request via the Migration Refugee Information System (MRIS), and any other required databases.
- Attend all internal and external meetings and trainings, including webinars from ORR or USCCB/MRS as required.
- Local travel is required for day, evening, and weekend work as required.
- Other responsibilities as required.
- Qualifications include a BSW, BA, LCSW, Master’s Degree in Social Work or related field is required. Master level degrees from native country may be considered.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, native speaker preferred.
- Social work licensure or relevant work experience with immigrant youth, immigrants or refugees at a non-governmental agency or social service agency.
- Ability to work within the community and perform outreach duties.
- Prior experience with unaccompanied children preferred.
- Excellent administrative, data collection, typing and computer skills including MS Office, familiarity with e-learning and webinars, experience with database systems.
- Ability to establish and maintain a positive and professional relationship with co-workers, clients, and community service providers.
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to relate well and effectively in a diverse workplace with diverse client population is required
- Must have valid U.S. driver's license. Work travel is required, insurance coverage and access to a reliable vehicle is required.
Our benefits are competitive offering 13 holidays per year, personal time and up to three weeks of vacation after a year of service are among many other generous benefits.
Visit us at www.ccab.org to learn more about our programs.
Interested candidates are invited to send a letter of interest and resume to
Please reference job #8022 in the subject line.
No phone calls please.
We are an equal opportunity employer.